Cambodia So Much More Than Temples
Cambodia is a small country with a huge past. Its rich history is challenging, enchanting and ever present. Voted the world’s friendliest nation, the Cambodian people smile their way throughout the day. Its blossoming art scene, funky bars and restaurants contrast nicely with its ancient temples and colonial decay.
This month we are featuring the underrated Siem Reap, the city of excitement, that has hidden gems outside of its magnificent temples.
HAVE AN ADVENTURE
Quad Biking – a fun way to get out into the countryside. Roam amongst the buffalo and cruise along the dykes surrounding the rice paddies. Two people can fit on each quad and if both pass the driving test in the beginning, you can take turns driving.
Zip Lining – an adrenaline filled adventure in the jungle. Zip lining with Flight of the Gibbon is a fun and safe day out. Fly between tall trees over lush jungle along a series of zip lines.
A Day In the Life Countryside tour – see how the locals live and what takes place in a typical Cambodia community. Activities vary depending on the season and number of days you’d like to visit but include building/ or repairing houses, visiting the local school and sewing centre, can include a cooking lesson.
HAVE A TREAT
Phare Acrobatic Circus – One of the most impressive live performances you’ll ever see, partly because of the human acrobatics involved but also the lack of props in general. No smoke in mirrors here just a powerful performance where actions definitely speak louder than words. A mix of contemporary dance, drama, live painting and music. Not to be missed if you come to Siem Reap!
Shopping fest with Day & Night Markets
HAVE A TASTE
HAVE A DRINK
- Miss Wongs – from the moment you walk in this place smacks of sophistication. The impeccably groomed waiters serve you delicious cocktails in a high class Chinese decor. Come for a pre-dinner drink or settle in for the evening because the food is delicious too.
- Picasso Bar – this bar reminds me of Cheers for the laughs and stories you hear and share. Brilliant for solo travellers because the horseshoe bar shape encourages you to chat with the bartender or fellow patrons. Up for a challenge, try to make the tallest jenga tower between sips. A good place to start your evening in Siem Reap.
- Long’s Bar (best Kampot Pepper Martini) – The bar’s name may come from the owner’s or the length of time you’ll probably stay here once you discover their delicious cocktails. The Kampot Pepper Martini is legendary and the Grapefruit concoction is also not to be missed.
HAVE A REST
1. Aviary Hotel – 3.5* Boutique Hotel
A perfect pool, incredible location and funky decor make every stay at the Aviary an unforgettable experience. With only 25 rooms it keeps a true boutique feel making it perfect for a romantic getaway.
2. Shinta Mani – 5* Central Resort
One of our favourite hotels in the whole of Asia. The Shinta Mani is the epitome of excellence. Expertly managed, beautifully decorated and home to world class service the hotel is split into a 4* Resort and a 5* ‘Club’. If you want to splash out on a little luxury, do it here.
HAVE A WIDE EYED TOUR
Our “So much more than temples” package highlights everything this beautiful destination has to offer, including some local expertise adventures, cultural tours and main highlights. Click here for more details.