A Taste Of Thailand
Looking for a delicious distraction? Our Marketing Manager Tamara has spent a couple of weeks in Phuket in February. One day she was invited to our partner’s house for a meal. Being a true traveller, Tam not only ate with the family, but also participated in cooking the meal. Now you can show your love for the tropical paradise of Thailand by cooking some of these beautifully tasty recipes.
(Red curry with pork or chicken)
400g (14oz) pork or chicken or tofu and veg
2 tablespoon panang curry paste
2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
150ml (5 fl oz) coconut milk
2 tablespoons fish sauce (use soy if you are vegan or vegetarian )
10 basil leaves
1 sliced red chilli
2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced thin
Heat the oil in a wok and fry the curry paste for one minute, then pour in the coconut milk and boil.
Add pork, chicken or tofu and vegetables and season with palm sugar and fish sauce.
Wait until cooked, then add basil leaves, chilli and kaffir lime leaves thinly sliced.
Served with hot steamed rice
Red Curry paste recipe incase you cant get the ready made stuff
Place the chillies in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften. Drain. Use a small sharp knife to cut the chillies lengthways. Remove the seeds and discard. Coarsely chop the flesh.
Blend the chilli, peanuts, galangal or ginger, lime leaves, shallot, coriander root, garlic, lemon grass, cumin, ground coriander and fish sauce in a blender until finely chopped.
Add the oil and blend, scraping down the side of the blender occasionally, until a smooth paste forms.
Tom Kha Gai
(coconut milk soup with chicken)
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut milk
- 250 ml (1 cup)
- 2 -3 medium pieces of galangal peeled and sliced
- 3 chicken breast fillers (cut into pieces)
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, diagonally cut
- 10g (2 tsp) chilies, finely chopped
- Mushrooms (optional, to taste)
- Lime Juice (taste for sour)
- 15ml (1tbsp) fish sauce
- 5g (1tsp) sugar
- 50g (1/2 cup) fresh coriander
- Place coconut milk, chicken stock and galangal in pan
- Bring to boil and simmer over low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasional
- Add chicken pieces, chilli and other (optional) ingredients to pan, simmer for another 6 minutes, continue stirring until cooked and all ingredients mixed well.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar. Ad coriander leaves before serving, can also garnish with remaining coriander leaves.
Vegetarian Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup onion dice into 1 cm
- 1/4 cup carrot, dice into 1 cm
- 1/4 cups green pea
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 lime, wedged
- Heat vegetable oil in the wok over medium heat. Add onion and garlic stir fry about 2-3 minutes.
- Add green pea and carrot. Stirring constantly, about 3 minutes
- Add rice and eggs, seasoning with soy sauce, sugar, white pepper and curry powder. Stir until combined.
- Serve into a dish, decorate with lime slices and cucumber.